Thursday, September 27, 2012

Taming The Tongue

Just a random post about something not many people may know about me and my tongue.

The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.- Proverbs 18:21

Are you quiet
Are you blunt
Are you shy
Are you rude

Do you "Think before you speak?" about how something may effect an individual if not said carefully and with thought. I have always been a bit quiet and internally blunt, if that makes sense; however, when around the right people I kindly, and sometimes rudely, say what's on my mind. I would blame it on my mother, but I know this is one thing we both share in common. However, I never thought of it as verbal abuse. Harsh words hurt and they cut deep. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!" is a false statement! Words do hurt! Words do heal! Words plant seeds! Words nurture and water! Words bear fruit! This is why we must be careful when criticizing! We have to criticize out of love! Know when to offer criticism. We have to discipline out of love! Compliments must always be appropriate and not misleading!

Sometimes we do say things we don't intend to say, and we don't realize how bad it may hurt someone. And this is one area I have to grow in, because I never realized it until a dear friend told me the "harshness" of my words of making one feeling little or stupid. There's always a better way to express yourself. Yes, let's admit, sometimes people effect our responses, but that's when we have to grow and learn how to talk to that individual. For me, its been kind of hard and even frustrating, because I rather just say what I feel than to "Think before I speak." 

It's funny though, because I always find it that people like to talk to me and ask my opinion or advice because not only do I listen, but I will keep it real! I have always been a real person, with a little deepness (lol).

So Lord, guard my tongue! Teach me how to speak to your people who make it tough for me!



Guard your tongue from profanity, and no more lying through your teeth.- Psalm 34:13

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.- Psalm 19:14

#PersonalGrowth

No comments:

Post a Comment